Saturday, August 27, 2011

On Cool Mountain Air, White Squirrels, and Bike Paths

I first discovered Brevard, NC in 1992.  I was a college student in Atlanta with a love of camping and a budding interest in cycling.  A friend took me on a trip to Pisgah forest for mountain biking and camping, and I was hooked.  I've travelled to Brevard somewhat frequently since then.  In the mid 90's, I moved to Greenville,SC and fell into the restaurant business.  Hours were long and days off hard to find, but the 1 hour ride over Caesar's Head to Brevard was enough of an afternoon diversion to clear my mind and recharge my spirit. My wife and I still enjoy trips to the mountains.  We've developed a standard Brevard get away that includes lunch on the way out of Greenville, a hike in Pisgah Forrest, dinner downtown, followed by a show at the Brevard Music Center.
I'd heard talk of the Brevard Bike Path for a couple of years, but chatter about it has increased lately, so on a recent sweltering day in a string of sweltering days, I took a half day off from work and headed up the mountain.



I parked at Brevard Middle School just 2 blocks from the trail (and location of the only hill of any significance on the ride.)  I headed out around noon, and true to form, temperatures where in the mid 80's whereas Greenville was low 90s and climbing.   The wide, paved trail started off through a nice garden before paralleling N Broad St/Asheville Hwy. Close to a mile in, the trail turned off to fields, crossed Lamb Creek and came through the Recreation District and the athletic fields (another good parking spot/trail head.) The trail joined up with Ecusta Rd before crossing back over Asheville Hwy and heading into Pisgah Forest at the 3.5 mile mark.  As the trail neared Pisgah, the pavement suddenly ended and turned to crushed stone.  I rode a hybrid, but a street bike would have done well too.  Signs of new and continuing improvements to this section gave hope for an even better trail in the near future.  Boardwalks exist and are being improved over the wet sections along the Davidson River.  I passed several small waterfalls joining up with the river. I've hiked and camped in this area many times, and it's always great to hear the sound of the river, to wave at the trout fisherman, and to laugh with the kids rafting.  Next time, I may bring a swimsuit and a lunch and spend a few hours here!  The crushed stone section runs 1.2 miles before you cross Davidson River, and from there, you're 0.2 miles to more parking at the Art Loebe Trail Head.


I headed back to the car, logging 9.7 miles round trip, swung by Sonic for a Lime Aid and headed back across Ceasar's Head.  Recharged now and looking forward to riding again in Brevard soon.




Notes:
Here's a link to Friends of the Ecusta Trail and the visionaries planning a rail to trail conversion linking Hendersonville,NC and the existing Brevard Greenway Trail. The basic infrastructure is in place to make the Ecustra Trail a destination ride like the Silver Comet in Georgia or the Swamp Rabbit Trail in Greenville,SC.  People already look to Western North Carolina as a vacation spot, and restaurants, camping, hotels, and shops are in place to support riders.  I'm excited and hopeful to follow this project's implementation. 


White Squirrels are part of Brevard's lore, and here's a little story behind it.  About White Squirrels  I officially move to rename the Brevard Bike Path the "White Squirrel Greenway."  Sexy, isn't it?  Think of the merchandising potential.  Animals sell Brevard, make it happen! 


The ramblings here are based on a June 15, 2011 ride.


Trail Link Post on The Brevard Bike Bath

Ceaser's Head State Park

Brevard, NC City Page

Mountain Biking in Pisgah Forest

Crushed Stone in Pisgah Forest


Through Athletic Fields Near Ecusta Rd

Along Hospital Rd

Trail Head at Poplar St (near Brevard Middle School)

No comments:

Post a Comment