Sunday, November 28, 2010

Three Rivers Greenway

I headed to Columbia yesterday to ride the Three Rivers Greenway trails.  Temperature was 32 when I left Greenville, but I was counting on Columbia's legendary heat to kick in.  I hit the trail head 10:30 and temperatures had already climbed to the high 50s and were soon in the 60s where they remained throughout my ride.

Here's a map if you want to follow along
Three Rivers Greenway Map 
The Three Rivers are Congaree, Saluda, and Broad

I parked at the southern end to start on the Cayce Riverwalk (parked at State and Lyles.)  The trail quickly took some tight S turns down to the river.  I explored further south to the section along Granby locks, then took another route to the main trail heading north.  I was taken aback at the construction of this trail, and it has to be one of the finest walking trails I've been on.  The Cayce section is often on boardwalks as opposed to traditional surfaces.  Lights, emergency boxes, benches, and picnic tables were liberally located along the trail.  Plenty of lookout points to take in the rocky river and even the Columbia skyline in the distance.  I rode along the Congaree River up through the West Columbia Greenway to a park under the Gervais Street Bridge.  This is a natural end to this roughly 3 mile section, and I'll proclaim again that it's a fantastic walking trail, but I'll stress the walking part.  Although acceptable as a biking trail, the trail is often narrow (5 feet?), slightly twisting, and occupied by scores of walkers and pets that congest the trail to the point of making cycling difficult.  My casual census supports this because I saw 2 other cyclists, 18 dogs, 1 Marine, and 108 people.  Don't let the last comments dissuade you from trying the trail - it's acceptable for riding and probably better in lower traffic times, and it gets better...

The trail ended at Gervais Street without clear signage as to where to go next.  In general when I did find a sign, it wasn't incredibly helpful, so bring a map.  I had a GPS and trail map and crossed Gervais to pick up the trail on the other bank of the river.  Unfortunately, the trail was closed for construction and detours were not marked.   Okay, I said it would get better, and it did.  After some frustration and map consulting, I found the trail open again at the Canal Park, and that was a really cool section.  The trail picks up on the bank of the Columbia Canal and heads north for several more miles.  The trail here is wide and the traffic more diverse.  I enjoyed crossing over the 19th century water works and riding along the banks of the canal.  The trail follows the path were horses once pulled barges.  I also liked having the calm canal waters on one side and the faster river water off to the other side.  This northern section didn't quite have the landscaping and amenities of the southern section, but it still had adequate lighting, emergency boxes, benches, and river overlooks.  The trail is probably 3-4 miles here depending on side routes or detours, but the main section is straight and level.  The trail ends at the diversion dam where you can break for restrooms and water plus some cool views of rapids and the old construction of the damn and loch.
There is another section of trail around Riverbanks Zoo, but the trails aren't yet connected and it looked a little awkward getting there via surface streets, but hopefully that section will be open on my next visit.

You'll find water fountains along the trail plus restrooms at several points.  You'll discover food options to be plentiful too just off the trail in Columbia.  Lesser options, but still nearby in West Columbia.

Despite drawbacks (narrow and congested on parts, poor signage, and construction detours), I can highly recommend this trail.  It's really well done, and the potential trouble spots can be eliminated.  I logged 15 miles and had a great day on the trail.

GERVAIS ST DETOUR: Cross River at Gervais and continue toward Columbia to Huger St.
Take Left on Huger
In roughly 4 blocks, take a left on Laurel St.
Enter trail at Columbia Canal and Riverfront Park


Trail Link's Map

Wikipedia entry for Columbia Canal

Columbia Canal

Twisting Down to the River
Example of Boardwalks - Cayce Riverwalk

Picnic Table at end of West Columbia Riverwalk (near Gervais St)
Crossing the Gervais St Bridge

Gervais St Entrance (looking down from bridge)
I Found the Trail Again - Now, How Do I Get Down There?!?

Bridge from Canal Park to Trail

Heading North From Canal Park
Northern End
View from the Dam
Looking South from the Dam
Heading Home - South Bound

No comments:

Post a Comment